This post is a crash course in Patent analytics. Lets begin . . .
What is Patent Analytics?
Patent analytics is detailed study of existing patent and non-patent literature, performed in order to advise the individual, companies and research institutions etc. to make an informed decision about their technology.
The use of patent analytics varies with the object of research and on the basis of the same, there exists various types of patent analytic types.
For example, before filing a patent, a patentee must perform a prior art search. Types of search and analytics falling broadly under patent analytics are:
- Patent prior art searches/Novelty searches.
- Patent invalidity searches.
- Freedom-to-Operate/Clearance Search.
- Chemical structure search.
- Patent Prior art searches /Novelty search.
Prior art search or novelty searches are done generally to see how new or novel is the invention or technology is.
As patent pre-requisite requirement is Novelty, Non- obviousness and Inventive step.
In lay-mans language prior art search is a search performed keeping in mind the key features of the invention in questions.
This search analysis all the existing patent and non – patent literature before the date of the invention in question.
This is done generally before filing of an invention, so as to make an informed decision before proceeding with investment.
As any patent or non-patent literature existing before the date of the invention question might lead to rejection of the patent application.
Benefits of Patent prior art searches:
- Tells the inventor about the existing technology in the area of invention already.
- Tells a person about the chances of the grant of a patent application.
- Tells a person whether to proceed with patent application filing or not.
- Tells a person in which area he/she shall invest time in developing a invention.
- Saves time and of-course lot of money.